Our largest program, Lunalilo Home offers “respite” or short-term, temporary, in-residence care for kūpuna who need a supervised and structured setting away from their families, such as when families are traveling.
A Home Away from Home
Respite residents enjoy the same privileges and benefits as long-term residential care residents, including:
- Accommodations in a single, double or multi-person occupancy room
- Basic bedroom furnishings
- Bed and bath linens
- Meals and snacks (sample menu)
- Meal planning, preparation and service
- Assistance with personal care (bathing, dressing, grooming, and ambulatory assistance)
- Medication management
- Health status/condition change monitoring
- First aid care
- Recreational, cultural and spiritual activities (sample calendar)
- Laundry services
Respite care is provided on a first-come, space-available basis. There is no guarantee that a bed may be reserved for a specific timeframe. Respite care durations may be between 7 and 30 consecutive days.
Depending on the individual's care needs, Respite Care fees range from $350 to $450 per night, plus a one-time $100 application fee.
How to Apply
We welcome new applicants for our Respite Care program year-round.
Respite residents must complete the same application process as residential care residents. A Level of Care (LOC) evaluation must be performed by an applicant's primary care provider (PCP) prior to admission. Once the PCP has completed the Hawaiʻi State LOC evaluation form, the Home will perform an admission assessment, which takes into consideration medical condition(s) and nursing needs, ability to manage daily routines, ambulatory status, behavioral health, and activities of daily living (ADLs) such as bathing, dressing, and grooming.
Who is Eligible?
Any adult senior who is ambulatory or independently mobile with devices and in need of minimal to moderate supervision and/or assistance with personal care needs (Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)) is eligible to apply for admission to Lunalilo Home as a Residential Care and/or Respite Care resident. We welcome seniors of both Hawaiian and non-Hawaiian ancestry. In keeping with King William Charles Lunalilo's will, priority will be given to kūpuna of Hawaiian ancestry.
Our residents are part of a vibrant kūpuna community. New residents must be able to adjust to group living through the many recreational, cultural and spiritual activities that we host and provide.
How Do I Apply?
We welcome referrals to Lunalilo Home. Any individual or their physician, health care agency representative, social worker or family member may submit an application.
The application process is as follows:
- Complete and submit a Resident Application Packet.
The Resident Application Packet includes:
- A General Application Form to be completed by the prospective resident or their responsible party.
- Primary Care Provider's forms to be completed by the primary care provider on behalf of the prospective resident. All prospective residents must be examined by a licensed primary care provider within three (3) months prior to admission.
- A tuberculosis (TB) clearance, which may be from either (1) a two step tuberculosis skin test, (2) Quantiferon Gold blood test, or (3) a chest X-ray performed within one (1) year prior to the date of the Admissions Packet submission confirming that the prospective resident does not have active TB.
- Covid-19 vaccination.
- Covid-19 proof of negative result 72 hours prior to moving in.
- An Admission Suitability Guide.
- Verification of Income.
- A copy of the prospective applicant's birth certificate.
- A copy of the prospective applicant's social security card or other verification.
- A copy of the prospective applicant's Power of Attorney (POA) documents.
- A copy of the Advanced Health Care Directive.
- A copy of the prospective applicant's funeral plan.
- A one-time $850 application fee (checks may be made out to: Lunalilo Home).
- An appointment will be scheduled for an interview and further evaluation with the prospective resident and their family members/caregivers.
All prospective residents are assessed prior to admission. After admission, the Home's staff continues to assess all residents level of care needs. Residents may be discharged if their level of care is beyond what we can provide for.
If you have any questions, we may already have answers on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Our Admissions Director is also here to guide applicants through the admissions process and can be reached at:
Phone: (808) 395-1000
Fax: (808) 395-8487
Lunalilo Home is a private, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) long-term care facility licensed by the Hawaiʻi State Department of Health as an Adult Residential Care Home Type II (ARCH II) for up to 41 residents, including a limited number of beds for expanded care services.